Table of contents
Welcome to the Marketing Missive, my Sunday newsletter, issue #15.
I hope you had a FABULOUS week. 😃
Thanks for being here.
This week's actionable tip: planning your content — the FUN 🥳 way.
We're All Content Creators Now
If you're in business, you're a content creator.
Yeah, sorry. And, it's TRUE.
You're creating content, whether it's product and service descriptions, blogs, social media, updating your website, or crafting pitches and decks.
What you say and how you say it is one of the most important business skills you need (if not THE MOST important).
I know from my client work and presentations that content planning and creation isn't fun for most of you.
So much so that if you're still here, I'm genuinely PROUD of you. Thanks for sticking with me.
Let's talk about a couple of mistakes people make and what to do instead.
Big Mistake #1: Not Planning at All
40% of businesses DO NOT plan their content.
Here's what happens when you don't plan your content:
- Nothing: because you're too busy doing other things
- Stress: you get a case of the shoulds (I should do this)
- Rushed: everything feels rushed and last minute
- Missed deadlines: that summer special GAH
Start planning. It will help your sanity. FOR REALS. 😀
Big Mistake #2: Planning in a Vacuum
Being a business owner is lonely.
Content planning doesn't have to be.
Bounce your ideas off someone. (Preferably someone who will tell you the truth and who's also close to your ideal customer.)
I have friends who tell me when I'm waaaaay off base. It's frustrating to hear it. And I ALWAYS appreciate it.
Run your ideas by someone. It will make you better.
Host a Monthly Content Party
How to host a content party:
- Get 3-4 business owners (trusted colleagues)
- Block out an hourlong Zoom call
- Brainstorm your upcoming events and specials
- Share ideas out loud
- Write down industry news/tips you've learned that would help your clients/customers
- Share 1-2 ideas with the group
- Group brainstorm: how to share these items (blog, video, social, etc.) — be creative!
- If you have time, start drafting copy and gathering resources/links
- Share the list with your team, or if you're solo, schedule time to create the content
You will get more done in this hour than staring at a blank page.
If it sounds too complicated, consider joining my membership (below), where I host monthly group content parties.
The most important thing? Getting started. 🙌
Grow Your Business with Digital Marketing
Epiphany Courses Membership - 20% Off
For service-based businesses with big hearts and small budgets. Lock in your low introductory membership rate (reg. price $25/month or $250/year).
- Live monthly Q&As
- Live Marketing Training
- Content parties
- Access to all courses
- Direct access to Jen
- Interactive private community (not on social media)
Learn more at Epiphany Courses.
This Week's Podcast & Livestream
Content Creator Collaboration for Audience Growth
Learn how content creator collaborations like cross-promotions and podcast interviews help you grow your audience.
Next week: Podcast guesting is one of the BEST ways to promote your business (for free!). Shelley gives us the scoop on how to be a great guest.
Join me a She Podcasts Live in DC
I'm speaking at She Podcasts Live again this year. Grab your IRL or virtual conference tickets today if you're considering starting a podcast, or want to grow your show.
💌 That's a wrap for this Sunday.
You enjoyed the newsletter, please share it.
You have a question or comment (or want to say hi!), hit reply.
See you again next week.
Have a great day,
P.S. Whenever you're ready, there are 3 ways I can help you...
- Pick my brain to give your marketing a quick boost.
- Get a 360 marketing review of your web, apps, and backend marketing.
- Join our content parties at Epiphany Courses: over 20 courses, plus community and online events (with me!).