Table of contents
Updated: January 3, 2023
I love apps. My business partner says I have an app "problem." Guilty as charged! I tested and helped develop apps at the corporate level. I guess I've never stopped testing (and buying!) cool stuff. Now you get to explore my fave tools and tech.
✨ Fave Apps
My Tech Stack
- Website: Ghost*
- Courses, membership: Learnworlds*
- Social posting: MissingLettr*, SocialBee*
- Newsletter writing: Typeshare*
- Website Analytics: Plausible
- Email marketing: MailerLite*
- Coaching CRM: Practice*
- Scheduling: Book Like a Boss* (soon to be Practice)
- Audio & video editing, transcription: Descript
- Audio courses: Hello Audio*
- Custom Integrations: Zapier, Pabbly Connect*
📬 Email Marketing
MailerLite* is what would happen if ConvertKit and MailChimp had a baby (only cheaper and easier to use). We use it for our membership and courses, newsletter, and more.
We left ActiveCampaign* because of its recent price increase. It's not a great product, but we weren't maximizing the features to justify going from $50/mo to $400/mo. We closed the CRM gap with Practice.do*, which has streamlined our process and helped us communicate better with coaching clients.
🏫 Courses & Community
Most robust learning management system (LMS) outside of WordPress: Learnworlds*: massive integrations, courses, live events, coaching/appointments, ebooks, SCORM, and a built-in community.
If you're a solopreneur, Podia* is an excellent platform for creating and selling courses.
Trusted Marketing Advice
Subscribe to our weekly newsletter.SIGN UP
I 💯 recommend Captivate* ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Customer service
- Audio editing: GarageBand (free!) plus Waves Content Creator Audio Toolkit (always seems to be discounted)
- Filler words removal + Transcript: Descript
- Podcasting + Everyday Mic: Shure SM7B* XLR (requires CloudLifter* and an interface). I use the Rodecaster Pro** (v1, I don't need the v2 features).
- XLR Cables: I recently upgraded to Mogami Gold... AWESOME
- My current setup: Canon M50 Mark II*, Sigma 16 mm f/1.4 lens*, Elgato Cam Link 4K*
- Most people need: Logitech C922x* webcam + Logi Tune app (free!) (this is what you see below in the "space-saving desk setup")
- Streaming: We've used Restream* for years
💎 Social Media Scheduling
Lately.ai uses artificial intelligence to help you not only write and post content, it's a dream for content creators (podcasters, YouTubers, etc.) who want to share clips of their work. Lately.ai will edit and generate video or audio clips to accompany your posts. 🤯🤯 CoFounder Kate Bradley Chernis shared startup and writing secrets on the Women Conquer Business podcast.
MissingLettr*: I LOVE the Curate feature, which allows other creators to share my content with their audience. I interviewed the founder, Benjamin Dell, on my podcast.
🌐 Web Tools
- Ghost* is GREAT for creators, bloggers, newsletters. ... but it's techy to spin up. If you're not a creator....
- Squarespace is great for coaches, consultants, and non-technical entrepreneurs. SEO out of the box. Use promo code GIMME10 to get a discount on your first year.
- Shopify for eCommerce 💯. Don't mess around with WooCommerce, BigCommerce, Magento/Adobe Commerce, etc.
- What about WordPress? WordPress is great. Best SEO. And it requires hosting, plugins, updating, security.... During the pandemic, platforms like Squarespace, Shopify, and (ugh!) Square made it so much easier for everyday business owners.
Plugins, Hosting & Security
- Studiocart* Studiocart creates sales funnels in WordPress. It's also founded and operated by Nicole Evans, a woman of color, which is awesome! 👏
- Thrivecart* Thrivecart creates sales funnels for Women Conquer Business
Search Engine Optimization:
RankMath, its free version, is full-featured and easy for the layperson to understand
Siteground* I've used Siteground for years. Wordpress.org recommends Siteground
If you're on WordPress, you need some form of security. Sucuri is a great platform and service I've used in the past (and with clients). Most small businesses only need firewall protection. If you've been hacked, or want heightened protection get the website security plan
🗄️ Ultimate Space-Saving Desk Setup
If you're curious about the space-saving desk setup I'm currently using, I've included it below.
Why? Because I suspect many of you don't have my patience — nay, stubbornness, curiosity, and budget — to try numerous configurations for three years. I know, I know...
Here's what I'm working with:
- Room size: 8' x 10'
- Desk size: 48" x 24"
- Computer: 16" MacBook Pro, laptop stand, Trackpad, Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
- Misc: Podcast mic, webcam, lighting for video calls and streaming
I wanted space to work at my desk WITHOUT giving up access to my whiteboard, closet, or office windows.
Here's how I did it:
- Desk: FLEXISPOT EG1 Electric Sit Stand Desk 48" x 24"*
- Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm*
- Headphone Stand: Avantree Metal & Silicone Headphone Stand*
- Laptop Stand: Nexstand Laptop Stand*
- Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam*
- Webcam/DSLR Camera Stand: JUSMO Camera Desk Mount Stand with 360° Ballhead*
- Mic: Shure MV7*
- Mic Stand: Suspension Boom Scissor Arm Stand for Shure SM7B*
- Lighting: Lume Cube Edge LED Desk Light (Pack of 2)*
- Removable Desktop Power Center: 3 AC Outlet Desk Clamp Power Strip*