Table of contents
I love apps. My business partner says I have an app "problem." Guilty as charged! I tested and helped develop apps at the corporate level. I guess I've never stopped testing (and buying!) cool stuff. Now you get to explore my fave tools and tech.
✨ Fave Apps
I use these almost daily
- Book Like a Boss*: my go-to appointment scheduler
- Pocket: here's where I save links to articles I don't have time to read
- Canva Pro / Adobe Creative Cloud: I use both (for different things)
- Grammarly: it's starting to get a bit invasive; and, it saves me (and my grammar) all.the.time.
- TubeBuddy: YouTube channel optimization tool
- Peppertype.ai: I use this as a starting place for YouTube and podcast descriptions. I always refine AI copy to my voice
- Brain.fm: binaural beats to help me focus
- Calm: a little meditation never hurt anyone
📬 Email Marketing
ActiveCampaign* (right now) is the best email marketing platform for Women Conquer Business and Epiphany Courses. I am also a fan of MailChimp (great integrations), Revue (capturing subscribers from Twitter), and Ghost.
If you're a solopreneur or small business Podia* is an excellent platform to get you started with creating and selling courses.
If you're looking for a "free" course platform, I recommend Gumroad. The downside of Gumroad is it takes transaction fees (instead of a monthly fee). However, it's budget-friendly, a stable product, and you can create and sell just about anything using it.
🎧 Podcast Tools
I 💯 recommend Captivate*. They're constantly adding new functionality like show notes templates, podcast episode planning, and dynamic ad insertion. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Customer service.
- Audio editing: GarageBand (free!) plus Waves Content Creator Audio Toolkit (always seems to be discounted)
- Filler words removal + Transcript: Descript (as easy as editing an MS Word Doc)
- Podcasting + Everyday Mic: Shure MV7* USB/XLR
- When I feel fancy: Shure SM7B* XLR (requires CloudLifter* and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2* or SOLO*)
- XLR Cables: can't go wrong with Pig Hog*
- Everday camera: Logitech C922x* webcam + Logi Tune app (free!)
- When I feel fancy: Canon Creator Kit*
- Camtasia: editing + pulling video clips together
- Descript: editing + removing filler words + transcript
💎 Social Media
Lately.ai uses artificial intelligence to help you not only write and post content, it's a dream for content creators (podcasters, YouTubers, etc.) who want to share clips of their work. Lately.ai will edit and generate video or audio clips to accompany your posts. 🤯🤯 CoFounder Kate Bradley Chernis shared startup and writing secrets on the Women Conquer Business podcast.
MissingLettr*: I've used it for years to quickly generate social media campaigns for blog posts. I absolutely LOVE the Curate feature, which allows other creators to share my content with their audience. I interviewed the founder, Benjamin Dell, on my podcast.
🌐 Web Tools
- Women Conquer Business: Ghost I 💙 its incredible publication features
- Epiphany Courses: Ghost because it is a content-rich membership platform
Plugins, Hosting & Security
- Studiocart* Studiocart creates sales funnels in WordPress. It's also founded and operated by Nicole Evans, a woman of color, which is awesome! 👏
- Thrivecart I use Thrivecart to create sales funnels for Women Conquer Business
Search Engine Optimization:
RankMath its free version is full-featured and easy for the layperson to understand
If you're on WordPress you need some form of security. Sucuri is a great platform and service I've used in the past (and with clients). Most small businesses only need firewall protection. If you've been hacked, or want heightened protection get the website security plan
🗄️ Ultimate Space-Saving Desk Setup
If you're curious about the entire space-saving desk setup I'm currently using, I've included it below.
Why? Because I suspect many of you don't have my patience — nay, stubbornness, curiosity, budget — to try numerous configurations for 3 years. I know, I know...
Here's what I'm working with:
- Room size: 8' x 10'
- Desk size: 48" x 24"
- Computer: 16" MacBook Pro, laptop stand, Trackpad, Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
- Misc: Podcast mic, webcam, lighting for video calls and streaming
I wanted space to work at my desk WITHOUT giving up access to my whiteboard, closet, or office windows.
Here's how I did it:
- Desk: FLEXISPOT EG1 Electric Sit Stand Desk 48" x 24"*
- Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm*
- Headphone Stand: Avantree Metal & Silicone Headphone Stand*
- Laptop Stand: Nexstand Laptop Stand*
- Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam*
- Webcam/DSLR Camera Stand: JUSMO Camera Desk Mount Stand with 360° Ballhead*
- Mic: Shure MV7*
- Mic Stand: Suspension Boom Scissor Arm Stand for Shure SM7B*
- Lighting: Lume Cube Edge LED Desk Light (Pack of 2)*
- Removable Desktop Power Center: 3 AC Outlet Desk Clamp Power Strip*